Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Change

I like change. I crave it. It's refreshing and renewing to me.

My college roommates used to joke about me being pregnant all the time because I always wanted to move our furniture around in different configurations. When I owned a house, the artwork on the walls changed about every 6 months.

So. Why bring this up? Well, I just realized today that it is an important factor to consider as I'm weighing different career options.

My most recent career decision is Museum Studies. And I happen to think it's a perfect fit for me.

For the past 6 months or more, I've been trying to decide between art, education, and public administration.

Museum Studies combines them all. I decided I would really love to be the education director of a museum--coordinating workshops, seminars, school tours, creating curriculum based on permanent and temporary exhibits.

Think about it: I would be involved in education (check), surrounded by art and constantly thinking about/researching/talking about art (check), and the content I develop would change regularly, as would the people to whom the information is presented (check). Art, education, public administration, and change.

It's been a long time coming... but I feel really good about it!

So, to help get some experience under my belt, I am volunteering as a docent at both the Springville Museum of Art and the BYU Museum of Art. I'm really excited.

(I just hope it doesn't mean another 4 years of undergrad studies before I can do a Museum Studies Certification.)

Keep your fingers crossed for me! ('Cause I'm going to do it all while working full time.)

4 comments:

Denise said...

Please keep us updated on the special exhibits at both museums. It sounds like a fun career path. Dream big - what about the Smithsonian? The British Museum? The Louvre?

Brooke said...

Awesome! I think you'd do great working in a museum. I really admire your ability to crave change. I can only do it in small doses (changing my hair, buying some new clothes/accessories a little out of my comfort zone, etc.). And, you seem brave, which I think is totally awesome! Good luck!

Ash Att said...

Sarah! thats so awesome! keep me updated on whats going on. i hope all is going well for you! we need to play. ps i want you to come to my bday party. i'll text you about details :)

Deborah said...

Wow. I think that fits you perfectly.