Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Visual Nocturne, Musical Nocturne

The last little while I've been really inspired by this painting by James McNeil Whistler.
It's called Nocturne in Black and Gold : The Falling Rocket.
It's an impressionist piece depicting fireworks and the resulting smoke lingering over the Thames.


File:James Abbot McNeill Whistler 012.jpg


Also, this website will create a reproduction in any size starting at about $150. Hello. If I had any money, this would be on my wall. ANd I would stare at it while listening to this:

4 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

LOVE the painting! Wow. So much emotion... so much interest... so many directions one could go...

Do you see a volcano of primordial energy, shooting flares of ash and smoke into the night sky?

Do you see the industrial revolution in all it's polluting, soul- and sky-blackening vigor?

Do you see a post-apocalyptic world where none exist but the shadows of our former glory and greatness and avarice?

Do you see the depths of hell, the river of filthiness that Lehi saw?

Do you see an inward reflection into the heart of evil, evil without redemption that glories just in its being evil?

Do you see a city at night, full of life and energy and motion?

Do you see an evening full of fireflies and chinese lanterns and mystery and interest?

Ah.... this IS great!! Thanks for sharing this!

Pat Evans said...

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

ali said...

I love Whistler, too. His works always seem romantic and chaotic all in one. Absolute beauty.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice about making friends. I definitely need to get myself in a class or two. Sewing? That might be a good start.

And nice to meet you. :)

Kaylia Payne said...

Amazing!! Gosh I wish I had $150