Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Paved with Good Intentions

I'm going to ignore the fact that the beginning of the well known proverb states that it's the path to Hell that's paved with good intentions.

Instead, I choose to believe that the path to a happy future is paved (a.k.a. awkwardly cobbled together) with good intentions, half-starts, mistakes, and refining moments, which eventually become less and less messy and lead to calm, authenticity, and joy.

I dropped out of school. I love art history, but I don't want to DO art history. I know. You can mock me. I pick something I want to do and I am gung-ho for a while, and then change my mind.*

In other (very much related) news, I have come to a mutual decision with my boss that I'll only be at my current job until April sometime. I'm not happy here, and we both know it. He wants me to be happy (and so do I), and he needs someone in my position who is passionate about it (which I am not).

So, lots of things to think about in the coming weeks. Lots of prayer, trips to the temple, self-reflection, and a lot of facing my fears. The things I think I would love to do for a living are not really that stable (painting, designing jewelry). The only exception to that is graphic design, which I am currenly considering. It's creative, which I love, and it also gives me a skill that will allow me to work for companies and organizations that I really believe in (UNESCO, art museums, anti-trafficking organizations, literacy organizations, etc.), without changing my qualifications every time I turn around.

Here's to getting a second Bachelor's Degree. Oy. At least this one will be marketable. :)

Wish me luck!



*And I reserve the right to keep doing so until I've found my happy place.

3 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Good for you. It takes courage to do what will truly make you happy, even if it takes a while to figure out what that is.
p.s. I hear this place called Ball State University has an excellent Graphic Design department. :) Also lots of great art department stuff--like painting majors and such.

Ash Att said...

sarah! im so proud of you and for changing your major to something you love. hope everything goes well for you! so i know we have been saying this for a long time, but i really would like to get together for dinner or something! i basically dont have a life, so im always available after 5.
you are awesome!

Anonymous said...

No mocking from this accountant who majored in social work who is married to a welder/safety facilitator who majored in art (not very marketable). Youare moving forward, which is a good direction.

You go girl!