Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cross Processing of Photos and Films :: the Creepy Cotton Candy Effect

I have never been able to figure out what crossprocessing was actually called until TODAY. I always called it the "creepy cotton candy" effect because of the eeriness I feel it lends to the photo or film, while at the same time really intensifying the colors.



This is one of my favorites from the Cross-processing group on Flickr. By John.


Reminds me of the Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulin. Interesting movie. I got a CleanFlicks version just before they went under if anyone ever wants to borrow it.

It's also possible to get this same effect through Photoshop, apparently (one day I'll own it).

What do you guys think of this particular effect? Is it creepy to you at all, or is that just me? I tend to associate it with "flashback" moments in movies where someone is remembering a traumatizing event they experienced as a child. I also associate it with clips or pictures of eerie-looking deserted carnivals. That must be where my homegrown "creepy cotton candy" name came from.

No comments: