Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekend Plans and Museum Visits (Pics to Come Soon)

I went to the Pantheon, the Louvre, and the top of the Arc de Triomphe today. I played hookey and went to the Pantheon when I should have been in class*, and then I met up with my friend E at the Louvre. We wandered around the Pavillon Richelieu and looked at a small section of the "French Painting" portion of the museum. She had to head home for dinner with her host family, so I took the Metro up to the Arc and climbed the 280+ stairs to the top.

Oh, and I went to the Pompidou Center yesterday, where I bought a 4-day museum pass. I'll be heading back to the Pompidou for about 30 minutes on Sunday after church to grab some pictures of my favorite displays, and then I think I'll stop back at the Louvre before heading to Versailles for a fireside with Elder Oaks (suh-weet! I'm sooo looking forward to that. The last fireside I went to where he and his wife spoke was fantastic). I'm going to have to pack a lunch.

Tomorrow (before my art class), E and I might head over to the Picasso museum.

At the Louvre, the paintings we saw were too realistic for my personal taste. However, E kept pointing out the details that she loved in the paintings (she loves more realistic portrayals like those of Rembrandt and his school of painting), and about halfway through I found myself able to appreciate the lighting, the details, and sometimes the color choices. But overall, still not a big fan of the style.






*Don't think I'm a bad person. Well, I guess you can if you want, but I guess that's my way of saying that I'm not going to feel bad for doing it. I was actually not feeling well this morning, so I decided not to go to class. I started feeling better a few hours later, but by the time I was feeling well enough to go out I couldn't have made it to class without causing a big disturbance (which is greatly discouraged). So I decided to make the most of my 4-day museum pass and see the Pantheon, which I've been wanting to do for weeks.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love Picasso. Enjoy the fireside and draw lots of things that I'll want to frame when you come home:). Love you!

Megan said...

Sarah,

I am so jealous of your experiences at the art museums! I love paintings and don't get enough chances to view them in person! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. And NO, I am not jealous in the least bit about anything you are doing with the French language! :-)

Sarah said...

The abundance of museums is definitely one of the best things about being here. There is certainly no lack of inspiration to be had.