Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Montparnasse Cemetery

On the way from the Raspail Metro station to the "testing center" where I took the proficiency test, I noticed a sign pointing just across the street to the Montparnasse Cemetery. Ooooooh.

I made a mental note to swing by on my way back to the Metro. I'm so glad I did. What an amazing place. Here are some of the pictures I took there.






This makes me even more excited to go see the Pere Lachaise cemetery and look for all of the famous people that are buried there.

Doesn't this kind of make you wish that cemeteries in Utah were cooler? They're easy to maintain, yes... but a smidgen on the boring side, maybe?
There were a few graves with fresh flowers there, reminding me that the cemetery isn't only a burial place for people in ages past, but that there are people who are still being buried there. An older gentleman was tenderly wiping rain water off a gravestone with a handkerchief, and it made me want to cry. I can only assume it was his wife's grave he was visiting and caring for so sweetly.

1 comment:

michelle said...

As cool as that cemetery is, Pere-Lachaise is even better! Go there. It's like a veritable city of the dead.